Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Fill a Bucket Chart



This is a great idea for the classroom to promote positive behavior through positive reinforcement. This idea was inspired by the books “ Fill a Bucket: A Guide to Daily Happiness for the Young Child” and “Have you Filled a Bucket Today?” by Carol McCloud. This idea teaches kids to show love, kindness, and respect to others.
It’s very easy to make the chart. You can use a hanging shoe holder, or a smaller version, like a jewelry organizer with pockets. In the picture you can see that I used a center chart that I already had in my classroom…
Before we started using the chart in my classroom, I read the book “Fill a Bucket” and I had students talk about ways of filling or emptying their buckets. Our principal gave us a bucket for the classroom, so each time my students fill their buckets or their friends’ bucket for a good action, they also fill our classroom’s bucket. The same happens when they are bucket dippers: their bucket and the classroom bucket gets emptied too.
The behaviors that I’m promoting right now are the following:
-Showing love and respect (saying nice words to each other, etc)
-Being responsible (homework, reading log, class work, center work, etc)
-Showing good behavior
I may add more behaviors later on. I use different colors to identify the behavior, but this is not necessary.
On Friday, students count their chips. The students with the most chips for the week get a prize. You can find ideas for certificates in this website: http://www.bucketfillers101.com/free-resources.php
When our classroom bucket gets filled the whole class will get a treat! Students can’t wait for this to happen!! They cheer for each other every time a chip gets in the bucket and everyone is really doing a great job!!

No comments: